Thursday, September 23, 2010

'Made with Organic Oats and Soybeans' (And a Bit of Philosophy)

I really enjoyed this week's discussion that arose out of talking about Chicago's grid system. I think a lot of people in the class, myself included, believed that the layout of our sidewalks, roads, and other infrastructure reflected a linear philosophy held by American society. By linear I mean that the common belief in America is that the most efficient and time-effective way is the best. With this in mind I was enjoying a hurried and rather unbalanced breakfast the other day, consisting solely of a "Crunchy Peanut Butter" Clif energy bar. I've come to overlook Clif's dogfood-esque taste and lack of desirable texture for the entertaining anecdotes printed on the back of the bar's wrapper written by Clif's founder and owner, identified there only as "Gary". However, the one I read that morning on my way out the door was especially interesting in light of our discussion:
For me, European bike trips have never been about riding from point A to point B. My buddies and I far prefer the explorative method of riding. Rather than being blown off the bigger red roads by the noise and dust of passing semis, we seek out the serenity and quiet of remote alpine valleys on the smaller white roads - views of massive rock faces and glaciers at every turn. We've carried road bikes on our shoulders over high mountain passes, slid down vast glaciers along side our bicycles, and stumbled upon more quaint villages than I can count. As with our cycling epics, it is the winding road - not the destination - that drives Clif Bar. It's a simpler, more rewarding style of riding - and doing business. From our people, to our products, to our planet, it is on the smaller white road that we choose to travel.
Gary is saying more or less the same thing that Mr. O'Connor did about linear philosophies. What is interesting to me is that we can assume Gary's primary concern is selling Clif bars. Clif's logo is a man climbing an actual cliff with several mountains in the background. It seems to me that Gary and the rest of the Clif company are marketing their energy bars away from mainstream society to the Jon Krakauers and Chris McCandlesses of the world; the wanderers, critical of the status quo. Of course the great irony of this whole story is that while pondering all this I was in the midst of eating the Clif bar as quickly as possible rushing out my door to catch the bus, determinedly trying to get from Point A to Point B is as straight of a line as possible, with no thought for valleys or glaciers.

2 comments:

  1. Despite the temptations of a beautiful pathway, I have always found myself to be like most Americans, trying to get to my destination as quickly as possible. I remember about a month ago, it was my mom's birthday. She didn't want any presents or material objects, she just wanted to go spend the day with our family at the Botanic Gardens just north of New Trier. There was a catch, though. She wanted us to take a long bike path that ran through the Skokie Lagoons. I stated (in a rather upset voice) why take an hour long bike ride in 90 degree weather when its just a 7 minute drive down the highway. After much complaining, I finally agreed to go. I will admit that the bike ride was pleasant, but nonetheless, it did not change my opinion. I still feel inclined to take the quicker path, no matter what the scenery, when given the option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Reed mostly. I tend to hurry up and rush to get where I'm going so that I can enjoy it there. For me, the idea is to get from A to B as quickly as possible, then enjoy points A and B while I'm there, but the journey... that's the thing I never have fun on. I think the point is to enjoy the journey more than the end points. Without the journey there would be no points. So enjoy A, enjoy B, and really take the time... oh yeah, I don't have time. The problem with enjoying the journey is that it is for people who have lots of time. In our rigid society, I know that I can't give any time for fun on the journey until maybe spring break. My schedule is booked. I understand the arguement; boy would it be nice, but I can't. My life is owned by the linear society I live in.

    ReplyDelete