Sunday, October 24, 2010

Meta-Post

Looking back at the blog posts that I've done this quarter the first thing that jumps out at me is my tendency to examine the philosophical side of our class discussions. I tend to pose ideas and questions that address why things are the way they are. The two posts where I really did this are "The easiest moral question we've ever had to face" and "'Made with Organic Oats and Soybeans' (And a Bit of Philosophy)". I've said things like, "when scripture is morally wrong, where do we turn for moral guidance?", "the common belief in America is that the most efficient and time-effective way is the best" and "What if the Neo-Nazi movement could buy the rights to the history of the Holocaust?". I wasn't surprised by this trend in my writing; it's usually how I like to think about things. But I have to ask myself: by focusing on the big picture am I making my posts too impersonal and therefore unattractive to my fellow classmates?
The answer, I believe, is yes and no. In "The easiest moral question..." I keep it strictly philosophical. The post, while intellectually stimulating, could comes off as lifeless and cold. "Made with Organic Oats..." on the other hand wrapped my philosophical musings in a nice personal story about a hurried breakfast. That's probably why it got two great comments and "The easiest moral question..." got zero. This is definitely something I'll keep in mind for later posts.
Please assess this post: 'The easiest moral question we've ever had to face'

No comments:

Post a Comment